East Village, Small Shops

Lobster & Crab Rolls at Luke’s Lobster – NYC

March 24, 2010 | 14 Comments

lobster roll @ luke's lobster

A few weeks ago, I told David I was in the mood for lobster and he told me to go find another boyfriend. (Oh no he didn’t!) So I took matters into my own hands and went to Luke’s Lobster myself. Much faster than getting a new boyfriend.

I love lobster rolls, but they’re pricey stuff, usually around $27 in this town. At Luke’s Lobster, lobster rolls are $14, practically half the going rate. The price is a reflection of the owner’s connections. Luke Holden grew up in Maine, and his dad, Jeff Holden, owns Portland Shellfish, a seafood processing company. As a result, their relationship with local lobstermen enables them to ship the lobster directly from the docks of Maine to the East Village.

At Luke’s I ordered a small Lobster Roll ($8) since I wanted to try one of the other seafood rolls. The small is referred to as snack size, and it’s exactly that. When I first saw it, I thought it was a joke, but the tiny roll — toasted and buttery — was chock full of fresh knuckle and claw meat with only the tiniest bit of mayonnaise and a sprinkle of celery salt. It’s all meat, no filler; the exact polar opposite of the luscious mayoriffic lobster rolls from Pearl Oyster Bar. It was surprisingly satisfying, but next time I’ll probably ask for a little more mayo and lemon. The great thing about Luke’s Lobster is that you can always add more mayo if you want it. Taking out mayo is problematic.

crab roll @ luke's lobster

The Crab Roll ($5/small) was just as fresh and delicious, with chunks of sweet crab. Again, the small order was tiny, but it was a whole lot of crab. Well worth it, even if your boyfriend didn’t take you.

Luke’s Lobster
93 East 7th Street (betw 1st & Ave A; map)
New York, NY‎ 10009
212-387-8487‎

Tags: , , ,
Read Related Posts: «

14 Comments

• Nicholas at 6:20 am on March 25, 2010

Hahaha, this post just screams passive-aggression. To be fair, those sandwiches look comically small. I’m not sure how I’d feel for 4 bites costing $8.

• someguy at 8:54 am on March 25, 2010

LOL come on David, lobster is not that much! It is a small price to pay to make your woman happy. Is the regular roll twice the size?

• bionicgrrrl at 11:40 am on March 25, 2010

@Nicholas – Trust me, I am never passive with aggression. If you ever met my BF, he would tell you. As for size, it is small, but compared to other places the price is reasonable.

@someguy – In David’s defense, he takes me to a lot of fancy restaurants. And yeah, the small is basically half a full roll.

• Steve at 2:27 pm on March 25, 2010

i went for the 7th Street Food Fest and received the snack size. it was great. you have to live in nyc to realize it is a good deal for what you get.

is david kosher? if so, LL is reason to break it. (this coming from a bad jew.)

• someguy at 3:53 pm on March 25, 2010

My friend lives a couple of blocks away. I will try the lobster roll the next time I visit.

Ah so David treats you well. Now I hear bells in the distance.

• wonders at 5:11 pm on March 25, 2010

How many inches would you say it is? I can’t tell from the picture…

• bionicgrrrl at 8:09 pm on March 25, 2010

@Steve – No, he’s not kosher, just extremely picky, and also a former vegan.

@someguy – Far, far in the distance.

@wonders – It’s very small, definitely less than 5 inches.

• uken at 9:12 am on March 29, 2010

can somebody please bring those rolls to japan?

• ®å at 9:24 am on March 30, 2010

ive been to maine; the rolls there are really big. BUT the people are creepy… like steven king… (have you seen the controversy w/ the rich lady w/ no real maine connection trying to take over the lobster shack business?)

• bionicgrrrl at 11:17 am on March 30, 2010

@uken – I’m sure someone will one day. Lobster rolls are popping up everywhere.

@®å – Never met anyone creepy from Maine before, and haven’t heard about the Lobster Shack drama.

• abdulnaby at 5:00 pm on April 4, 2010

Luke’s is delicioso. I’ll have to get the crab roll this week.

• bionicgrrrl at 4:38 pm on April 6, 2010

@abdulnaby – Definitely delicioso, let me know how you like it.

• someguy at 2:18 pm on May 26, 2010

I got the lobster roll two weeks ago. Very good but I forgot to add the homemade spice.

• bionicgrrrl at 3:04 pm on May 26, 2010

@someguy – They add a little on top before serving, but extra is nice. Mmmm….