Recipes

Blueberry Martini Jello Shots – NYC

August 27, 2008 | 61 Comments

blueberry martini jello shot

Blueberry Martini Jello Shots

My friend Chris invited me to a barbecue last weekend, and wanting to be a good BBQ guest like Deb at Smitten Kitchen, I offered to bake a pie. It turns out, though, no one who was attending the BBQ was very excited at the prospect of pie. Who would’ve thunk it?! Geez, how can anyone not like pie? Pies are delicious; it’s jammy fruit in a buttery flaky crust! So then I thought of making a watermelon tomato salad with olives, but after showing Chris the recipe, her response was, “Uh, that’s weird.” Back to the drawing board, I searched the Internet, but nothing seemed really interesting. A few days later I was still lost, but after a few glasses of sangria with friends, it finally dawned on me, ‘My friends are lushes, why not make jello shots?’

I didn’t want to make regular jello shots though, I mean my college days are far behind me. So I googled “gourmet jello shots” and I came up with a Los Angeles Times adapted recipe for Blueberry Martini Jelly Shots from Bar Nineteen 12 in Beverly Hills. It was exactly what I needed, jello for adults, or as I like to call them, ‘jello for the grown and sexy.’ I emailed Chris with my idea and she responded with one word, “Nice!”

blueberry martini jello shot cubes

I made a few modifications to the recipe to make my life easier. The recipe calls for sheets of gelatin. I opted to use gelatin powder instead since it can be found in regular supermarkets (I used Knox Gelatine). As for setting the jello, the recipe has you use half-ounce silicone molds — since these shots are meant to be picked up with your fingers and eaten — but I didn’t want to go out and buy molds, so I ended up using an ice tray. It worked nicely except for the fact that each cube was bigger than a half-ounce, so I ended up with about twenty shots instead of thirty-five. I would double this recipe if you are going to take the ice cube route. In addition, I would avoid using ice trays with really large ice cube molds. If that’s the only type of tray you have, don’t fill it all the way to the top. You don’t want to bite into a giant cube of hard gelatin. It’s not as tasty. I also added more blueberries per shot because I thought it looked cheesy to have only one lone blueberry in each cube.

The jello shots were a hit at the BBQ, especially amongst the girls. The shots were cold, refreshing, and made for some summer fun. One of the girls thought they were a bit strong, but she doesn’t drink much, so if you are making these for the non-drinking crowd, I would mix in some water and perhaps some more simple syrup so they’re weaker. Also, the texture of these shots are harder than normal jello shots; a cross between jello and gummy bears. One of the guys wasn’t too crazy about the texture, but then again I notice a lot of men aren’t into candies of the gummy sort, so if harder jello freaks you out, you can add less gelatin or serve them after leaving them out for a while.

I can’t wait to experiment with these jello shots. The possibilities seem endless. I’m thinking mojito shots, lychee saketini shots, sangria shots…. So next time you’re a BBQ guest, and no one likes pie, make these jello shots. Vodka + Gelatin = SCORE!

Blueberry Martini Jello Shots
(Adapted from an adapted recipe by the LA Times for Blueberry martini jelly shots at Bar Nineteen 12)

Total time: 25 minutes, plus overnight chilling
Servings: About 20 Shots (more if you use 1/2 ounce molds instead of an ice tray)

10 1/2 ounces Stoli Blueberry vodka
2 ounces simple syrup* (add more if blueberries are sour)
3 1/2 (1/4 ounce) packets of gelatin powder

About 60 fresh blueberries (more if the blueberries are small)

1. Off heat, combine the vodka and simple syrup in a small saucepan. Add gelatin powder to the vodka mixture.

2. Heat the saucepan over low heat, stirring, until the gelatin is dissolved and incorporated into the vodka mixture, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Place a few blueberries in the bottom of each individual ice cube mold, and carefully pour the vodka mixture into each. Refrigerate the ice cube tray until set, preferably overnight. These cocktails will keep, refrigerated, for as long as 2 days.

*To make simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan, and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Tags: , ,
Read Related Posts: «

61 Comments

• natalie at 8:21 am on December 24, 2008

ahhh love it! what a great idea!!

• flutterbyblue at 9:54 am on December 24, 2008

these look beautiful! I love the idea of serving them on soup spoons!

• bionicgrrrl at 12:25 pm on December 24, 2008

@Natalie Wish I could take credit for the idea, but alas, I found the recipe on the Internet.
    @flutterbyblue If you make them more softer, the soup spoons works nicely.
    @Graeme I love creating alcoholics!

• Graeme at 12:13 pm on December 24, 2008

Makes you want to take up drinking, seriously. :)
    Such a cool idea.

• gaga at 4:12 pm on December 24, 2008

What a fun idea! It looks great.

• juan at 11:51 pm on December 24, 2008

looks great.

without launching into a rant about how anything mixed with anything else is called a martini these days (most people don’t even know a true martini uses gin), doesn’t a blueberry martini usually have triple sec in it, too?

would throwing in triple sec make it too watery/alcoholic? is there a critical point beyond which there’s simply too much alcohol in gelatin for it to set?

• bionicgrrrl at 2:36 am on December 25, 2008

@juan I totally agree with you. For the longest time I couldn’t get over these cocktails that called themselves martinis when they just had vodka in them. I think a real martini needs a drop of vermouth in them to be called a martini, but then I had a drink and got over it.

As for when there is too much alcohol for the gelatin to set, I found a formula on a molecular gastronomy site:

% gelatin to add = (% alcohol in final mix x 0.1) + 2. Seems right to me. ;)

• Carolyn Jung at 2:22 pm on December 25, 2008

What a brilliant idea for a fun cocktail-party twist! They remind me of a grown-up version of the finger-Jello I ate happily as a kid.

• Yabanmersinli Votka Küpleri *** Hafif ve Yaratıcı Tarifler at 7:19 pm on December 27, 2008

[…] Kaynak: Bionic Bites – Blueberry Martini Jello Shots […]

• Kathy at 12:48 pm on January 31, 2009

How do you get them out of the molds?

• bionicgrrrl at 1:03 pm on January 31, 2009

@Kathy Well, they say leaving the tray in a warm water bath works, but I think the best, and quickest way is to simply scoop them out with a knife or spoon. Good luck!

• alice at 12:50 am on April 5, 2009

This recipe rocks.. I know what I’m bringing to the next bbq~

• bionicgrrrl at 12:57 am on April 5, 2009

@alice – Yeah, I can’t wait to make some more this year. Maybe mojito shots. Let me know how yours turns out!

• Jello Diva at 7:46 pm on May 19, 2009

I like how the fresh fruit and clear jello helps to add a touch of class – thanks for the great idea!

• bionicgrrrl at 9:43 pm on May 19, 2009

@Jello Diva – If you want to get fancy, try a pretty mold. I was too lazy.

• BlogDog at 4:47 pm on June 21, 2009

I think I might try this with peach vodka and white peach cubes.

• bionicgrrrl at 12:47 pm on August 9, 2009

@BlogDog – Let me know how it goes!

• ryanclark at 4:09 am on February 7, 2010

hey everyone! I made these and they turned out great.. So I got creative and did a blue margarita Jello shot as well… 8 ounces of tequila 3 ounces, of Blue Caracao (Blue triple Sec), 2 ounces of sour mix, 1 ounce of lime juice, and a splash of lemon juice; with the 4 packets of gelatin! Turned out so great and delicious…

Just get creative and you can make anything!

• ryanclark at 4:11 am on February 7, 2010

By the way… The name I gave those margarita jello shots is “The Blue Agave”… I thought that was original and kind of a cute idea! I hope you all like it.

• bionicgrrrl at 2:30 am on February 9, 2010

@ryanclark – It does sound cute. :)

• 10 Jello Shots Worth the Hangover | Yummly at 1:01 pm on June 7, 2011

[…] Blueberry Martini (from Bionic Bites) […]

• Shannon at 11:22 am on June 10, 2011

I made these last night and though they looked really cool, they were soooo tough and hard compaired to normal jello shots. We threw them on the ground and they bounced… You could hardly even chew/swallow them. It was not good and I followed the recipe to a T. I will be making my normal jello shots with actual jello and not pure gelatin next time..

• bionicgrrrl at 11:49 am on June 10, 2011

@Shannon – They are a bit harder because you want to be able to pick them up, but not that hard. Mine were fine using the recipe and I made them a few times. Perhaps you can add a little more water if you want to try it again next time.

• Anne at 11:38 pm on June 10, 2011

what is simple syrup?

• bionicgrrrl at 12:04 pm on June 13, 2011

@Anne – It’s basically sugar water. Instructions to make simple syrup are in the recipe above (combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan, and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved). Depending on whether the blueberries are sweet or not, you can add a little more or less.

• lisa at 7:54 pm on June 13, 2011

Where can you but plastic soup spoons?

• bionicgrrrl at 9:35 pm on June 13, 2011

@lisa – In NYC, they have them at several stores in Chinatown, but they also sell them online, although not as cheap. I did a quick search and found them on Amazon and Ebay.

• lisa at 10:16 am on June 14, 2011

There’s a restaurant depo store in virginia, I wonder if they have some there.. I don’t have enough time to order them online, they won’t get here in time… thank you! Good to know for future though!

• lisa at 10:28 am on June 14, 2011

There’s a restaurant depo store in virginia, I just called them and I can get 1,000 for $6 that’s amazing! I don’t have time for them to get here if I buy them online, this works better because I can just go to the store. Ill post how they turn out!

• bionicgrrrl at 1:52 pm on June 14, 2011

@lisa – Good for you! Yeah, I thought the price on Amazon was too much. Ebay is better, but if you’re in a rush, it won’t help. Good luck!

• Ronda at 12:15 pm on July 4, 2011

This recipe was a lot of fun. I made them for my 4th of July BBQ. I made two batches one used rasperry vodka and blueberries and then bluebrry vodka with raspberries.

Called them Red, White and Blue-berry shots :) They were a hit!

I do have one question though, even though I used the recipe above exactly as it is written, mine came out a little cloudy … It didn’t matter much since it was more of an asthetic thing and didn’t impact the taste. I still wonder what (if anything) I am doing wrong?

• bionicgrrrl at 12:37 pm on July 4, 2011

@Ronda – What a great idea! Not sure about the cloudy part. Is it possible you were beating the liquid a lot before refrigerating?

• Ronda at 1:03 pm on July 4, 2011

@bionicgrrrl: Thanks for the reply. I may try it again this afternoon for another 4th of July activity we are going to. My assitant (husband) has a tendancy to be a little over zealous when he stirs things.

Cloudy or not – there wasn’t one left at the end of the night.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

• bionicgrrrl at 1:09 am on July 5, 2011

@Ronda – I wonder if it had to do with the simple syrup. Perhaps it was hot when you combined it with the vodka? Not sure. Glad you liked it!

• Michael Lange Ocala at 4:09 pm on November 18, 2011

blueberry vodka is a great touch.

• Bex at 3:08 pm on November 20, 2011

I’m thinking it’s not an issue because no one else has brought it up, but if you’re heating the vodka, doesn’t it lose the alcohol?

• saruchan28 at 9:23 pm on November 20, 2011

You could add the alcohol to the mix after you dissolve the gelatin, and stir it in well. That way you wouldn’t cook off any of that precious liquor!

• Rachel at 9:10 pm on December 8, 2011

I just made these for a party – they look amazing! I personally don’t like jello OR vodka but they actually aren’t bad tasting to me which means they are probably amazing to people who do like those two things :-)

• Will at 12:56 pm on December 17, 2011

We made these for a Christmas party. They were the hit of the party. They also taste amazing! Thanks for a wonderful recipe. We did the warm bath method and a butter knife to get them out of the ice cube holders…it worked great. Only a few mishaps, but HEY, you get to taste the rewards while preparing the platter.

• bionicgrrrl at 9:51 pm on December 18, 2011

@Michael – Thanks!

@Bex & saruchan28 – If any alcohol evaporates, it’s pretty negligible. The end result is very boozy!

@Rachel & Will – So glad it worked out!

• Dave Y at 10:58 pm on January 23, 2012

I didn’t think I would ever again find myself planning the ingredients for Jello Shots. This must be why we never say never. I am just launching a new company making restaurant apps and text marketing services. Most of my staff is running a decade behind and this is perfect for our then and now fusion theme Thank YOU!!

• Suep at 6:25 pm on January 29, 2012

We tried these jello shots last night because, frankly, they look adorable. To be honest, they were probably the worst jello shots I’d ever had. I made them exactly according to directions. They tasted overbearingly of alcohol, and were a trial to get out of the ice cube trays. Remembering them now makes me wince. I think this could be a keeper with a bit of adjusting to the recipe, but as is, they were awful.

• M at 11:49 pm on January 31, 2012

Great write-up, the picture of finished product looks unreal (in a good way). I would like to keep a tray of these in my freezer for whenever I have friends over but I wouldn’t want the berries to go bad, what’s the longest you think I can keep them frozen for? Days, weeks, months?

• bionicgrrrl at 12:38 am on February 1, 2012

@Dave Y – Good luck!

@Suep – These shots are strong. If you don’t like the taste of alcohol, I would definitely up the simple syrup and reduce the alcohol.

@M – Freezing jello can get iffy (e.g., ice shards, freezer odors). I wouldn’t try freezing, but if you want to give it a try, let me know how it goes. Berries usually keep in the freezer for about a year though.

• Zeno at 5:48 pm on February 2, 2012

Could you not just use less gelatin if you want it more like jello and less like rubber?

• bionicgrrrl at 3:00 pm on February 3, 2012

@Zeno – I wouldn’t call them like rubber, but if you prefer softer jello, definitely add less gelatin. However, these are meant to be picked up, so if you make them softer, I’d suggest spoons like in the pic above or shot glasses.

• Mike at 4:51 pm on June 12, 2012

Awesome recipe. I made it a few nights ago, only though part was removing the gelatin from the molds, I guess that’s why silicon is better than plastic!

• vince at 5:34 am on January 3, 2013

try strawberry and raspberry variants peach also sounds nice but its the wrong season right now

• Blueberry Martini Jello Shots | pinterest-daily.com at 6:15 am on March 12, 2013

[…] Read all the details and the full recipe on bionicbites.com […]

• Heather at 9:16 am on April 4, 2013

I know it says equal parts of sugar and water for the simple syrup but how much sugar do you use?

• bionicgrrrl at 11:00 am on April 4, 2013

@Heather – I always make a little extra in case I need more later. Mix 2 ounces or 1/4 of a cup of sugar and water. The sugar dissolves so you’ll end up with more than 2 ounces. If the berries are sweet and you don’t need the extra, add it to a cocktail while you wait for the jello to set. Cheers!

• Gourmet Jelly Shots-French Martini Style | cheese and toast at 11:35 pm on April 8, 2013

[…] so they held together but were not gummy bear in chewy-ness.  I also wanted to initially try a clear jelly shot (very cool) but found the alcohol a bit overwhelming so came up with this take on the French Martini […]

• 23 Genius Way To Use An Ice Cube Tray : All Honesty LLC at 1:48 pm on April 30, 2013

[…] these Blueberry Martini Jello Shots made in an ice cube […]

• Food – Awesome Ways To Use An Ice Cube Tray | Everything Cool at 4:52 pm on April 30, 2013

[…] these Blueberry Martini Jello Shots made in an ice cube […]

• There’s Always Room For JELL-O! Our Favorite Shot Recipes. | Howl at the Moon at 10:35 am on May 24, 2013

[…] 4. Oh you fancy huh? Then we have an elegant shot for your good sir/madame, The Blueberry Martini Shot. RECIPE. […]

• Humpday Helper » Live Love Lipstick at 8:34 am on July 17, 2013

[…] know if it’s just the fact that I haven’t had a cocktail in 6 months but these Blueberry Martini Jello Shots sound too good not to […]

• 15 Edible Ice Cube Tray Creations - life by dailyburn at 8:34 am on August 1, 2013

[…] Grown-Up Jell-O Shots Ditch the wasteful paper cups and make Jell-O cubes (with or without alcohol) in an ice cube tray. Jell-O on it’s own is a low-cal and refreshing […]

• Blueberry Martini Jello Shots | Foods, Drink & Recipes at 12:34 pm on August 6, 2013

[…] Read all the details and the full recipe on bionicbites.com […]

• Lorka at 12:59 pm on October 5, 2013

I couldn’t get the jello out of the tray after freezing. What’s the secret?

• bionicgrrrl at 7:07 pm on October 6, 2013

@Lorka – These shouldn’t be frozen, just set in the refrigerator, and I found it easiest to scoop out with a butter knife.

• 25 Brilliant Ways to Use an Ice Tray | DIY & Craftz at 6:36 pm on November 26, 2014

[…] DIY Project Instructions and Credit – Bionicbites […]